Calvert City Lumber Company was established in 1951 when J.B. "Boots" Conn and brothers Otto and Charles came over from East Prairie, MO. Calvert City was booming. In the early fifties, chemical companies like Pennsylvania Salt Manufacturing Company (now Atofina), National Carbide Company (Carbide Graphite) and B.F. Goodrich Chemical, built multi-million dollar manufacturing facilities.
By 1965, Boots had bought out both brothers and became sole owner. Over the years, Calvert City Lumber Company expanded and evolved with the times. In the early 60s and 70s, Calvert Lumber contracted and built many of the homes in Calvert City and surrounding areas of New Kuttawa and New Eddyville.
The roof truss division was started in 1971 and was one of the only two companies in the western part of the state that manufactured roof trusses. In 1980, after graduating from college, Boot's son Jim started a hollow metal door and frame division of Calvert Lumber - "Commercial Door & Hardware". In 1984, Jim purchased Calvert City Lumber Company from his family.
By 1989, Commercial Door & Hardware had outgrown the Calvert location and was incorporated that same year. In 1991, Commercial Door & Hardware moved to Paducah to a much larger facility. At the same time, Commercial Plumbers Supply was started as a division of Calvert City Lumber Company and Atlas Door of Paducah, an overhead door company, was established as a division of Commercial Door & Hardware.
Today, Calvert City Lumber Company, Inc. is a full line supplier of building materials including: lumber, windows, doors, moldings, kitchen cabinets, paint and hardware. The roof truss division manufactures and sells trusses for homes, pole buildings, and commercial buildings. Calvert Lumber's pole barn division sells and erects pole buildings of any size or specification. Commercial Plumbers Supply furnishes plumbing fixtures and rough-in materials for commercial buildings as well as new homes.